For me 2011 has been a year of extreme highs and deep lows. As cliché as it is, it has also past by way too quickly.
At the start of 2011 I set myself some goals for the year, which were, in summary:
- Be out of all NZ debt (excluding student loan) by year’s end.
- This didn’t happen. But I am over halfway there.
- No more depression.
- During the start of 2011 the exact opposite happened, I found myself in one of the deepest holes I have ever fallen into. But the second half of the year has seen this completely turn around.
- Refine what I believe and find a church that meets those beliefs.
- I think the refining is a continuing process. But the good news is I am now settled in a small but growing and vibrant church community.
- Expand my network of Sydney-based friends to beyond computer science.
- I would still like more friends, but this has been mostly achieved through finding a church home.
- Keep my house cleaner and tidier.
- Does four days of epic cleaning over the Christmas break count?
- Get funding to travel to a conference in either Europe, Asia or America.
- Does Perth count as overseas?
Unlike 2010 I spent a lot less time travelling, however, this was made up by attending a lot more events, activities and hiking around Sydney:
January – Watched Australia get defeated at The Ashes, Hiked through Lane Cove National Park, Rocked out to Skillet, and had fun days out with friends on Australia Day, Symphony in the Domain, and Opera in the Domain.
April – I went to the Easter Show… the absence of other photos from this month probably highlights the low point of the year.
May – During May there was yet more goodbyes, by this time five good friends had flown to far distant lands. I also spent a few days in NZ, and hiked with friends on the Manly Scenic Walk.
June – A group of mates went to Vivid Sydney… I also seem to have a lack of photos from this month as well.
July – I went to Melbourne for a weekend. I also did some urban walking around parts of Sydney.
September – Rugby World Cup time! I spent many a cold and wet night at Darling Harbour watching NZ progress through the competition. I also went hiking at Berowra Waters.
November – Yet more hiking near Berowra, and the lack of photos suggests really busy times the rest of the month.
December – The end of the year has been very busy. Early in the month I attended the V8 Supercar race in Sydney, spent a week in Perth for a conference and then a quick roadtrip, the rest of the month has been spent working on uni research and Christmas.
I will post my goals for 2012 on January 1.